prof. dr. sc. Karmela Barišić
Phone: 01 6394 783
Address: Department of Medical Biochemistry and Haematology
Domagojeva 2, 10000 Zagreb
Karmela Barišić is a tenured professor at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Haematology. She is involved in graduate (Biochemistry, Molecular Diagnostics, Pharmacogenomics, and Molecular Basis of Disease and Therapy), postgraduate doctoral and specialist study programmes. She served as Dean (2010/2011–2013/2014) and Vice Dean (2006/2007–2009/2010). Her scientific interest is focused on research of heat shock proteins, apoptosis, cell signalling, cytoskeleton, and biological and diagnostic relevance of regulatory RNAs.
- 1992 Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry University of Zagreb, Postgraduate doctoral study, academic title: PhD, field of science: Biomedicine and health
- 1989 Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry University of Zagreb, Postgraduate study, academic title: MSc, field of science: Biomedicine and health
- 1983 Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry University of Zagreb, Study of Pharmacy, major in Medical Biochemistry, MS Med. Biochem.
- 1991 – today Department of Medical Biochemistry and Haematology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry University of Zagreb
- 1985 – 1988 Laboratory of Experimental Pathophysiology, Department of Pathophysiology, Zagreb University Hospital Centre
- 1985 Department of Medical Biochemistry and Haematology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry University of Zagreb
- 1984 – 1985 Biochemical Laboratory, Zagreb University Polyclinic
- 2003 Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2002 – 2003 Kwansei Gakuin University, Nishinomya, Japan
- 1996 – 1998 Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Munich, Germany
- 1988 – 1990 Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Munich, Germany
- 2014 principal researcher, miRNA profile in apoptosis induced by Hsp90 inhibition, University of Zagreb
- 2013 – 2014 principal researcher, miRNA expression in induced apoptosis of tumour cells, University of Zagreb, project 126.96.36.199
- 2007 – 2013 principal researcher, Posttranscriptional silencing of heat shock proteins by siRNA nanotherapy, MZOS-RH 006-0061117-1236
- 2005 – 2006 principal researcher, Heat shock proteins; diagnostic markers and/or pharmacological targets, MZOS-RH-0006634
- 2007 – 2008 principal researcher, CEEPUS CII-HR-0045-03-0708
- 2004 principal researcher, Polymorphisms of GALT and PON genes in healthy population of Croatia and Slovenia, bilateral Croatian-Slovenian project
- 2002 – 2004 associate, Mechanism of cell defence in chronic diseases, MZT-RH-0006631
- 1996 – 2001 associate, Biochemical markers of cell damage, MZT-RH-006311
- 1991 – 1994 associate, Structural, chemical, and physiological study of proteins, MZOS project 1-07-102
- 1993 – 1996 associate, Effect of stress on the expression of oncogenic mRNA in human cells, German-Croatian project, Mainz – Zagreb
- 1995 associate, Function of CBP33 Stress-Associated Nuclear Carbohydrate Binding Protein in Stress and Ageing, Sandoz Corporation
- 1985 associate, Development of chronic, degenerative and malignant diseases
Awards and recognitions:
- 2012 Recognition Award of the University of Zagreb for her contribution to quality assurance in higher education
- 2006 Recognition Award of the Croatian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology for her contribution to the creation, development and promotion of the Society
- 2003 Annual Award of the Croatian Society of Medical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine for her scientific contribution
- 2000 6th Alps-Adria International Congress of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine Award for best poster
- 1982 Rector’s Award for her scientific work as a student
- Croatian Society of Medical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine
- Croatian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Supervisor of 5 doctoral dissertations, 1 master thesis and 45 graduation theses.
- 2012 Certificate of Expertise in external evaluation of agencies for quality assurance in higher education
- 2008 Certificate of Expertise in external evaluation of university quality assurance systems Member of Faculty, University (University Council, Biomedical Council, Quality Management Committee) and national committees (National Council for Biomedicine and Health, National Council for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Working Group for National Strategy of Education, Science and Technology).
- Completed professional training in quality assurance in higher education and is certified both nationally and internationally.
- Since 2013 Chairperson of the Accreditation Council of the Agency for Science and Higher Education.
The works included in the Croatian scientific bibliography (CROSBI)